Since 1998, when The Old Rugged Cross Foundation, Inc. took possession of the old church, the building has gone from a dilapidated old barn on the verge of collapse to a sturdy, proud, upright church on a firm foundation.
Although the restoration is still far from complete, steady progress continues to be made each year.
During the winter of 2011/2012, a new 5-inch, tongue-in-groove oak floor will be laid over the three-year-old existing sub-floor in the sanctuary. Two new replicated windows will be installed in the sanctuary, adding to the two which were installed in August, 2011. Twenty-two replicated pews will be made and will be ready to be installed in the Spring of 2012.
The balance of the original woodwork will be stripped and refinished beginning in April of 2012, and installed as soon as it is completed.
Other improvements will be made as funding becomes available.
Information about scheduling group (or single) site tours is available by calling the ORCF office at 269-683-4540.
The Old Rugged Cross Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 41, Niles, MI 49120
Websites: www.theoldruggedcrossfoundation.org www.the-oldruggedcross.org
The more progress we make, the more we are in danger of people thinking the project is completed, and the more likely it is that funding will cease.
Projects still remaining to be done include the following:
- Repairs to stairway
- Repairs to the upper level (North and South walls are cabled together in five places and plywood is currently covering the rotten floor boards)
- Two sanctuary and four museum windows remain to be purchased and installed
- Special window units over two sets of double doors and over the exterior doors need to be purchased and installed
- Museum window trim and baseboards need to be made and installed
- Original wallpaper may be duplicated and installed in the sanctuary
- The visible part of the exterior foundation needs to be covered with stone
- The brick walkway connecting to the garden needs to be completed
- All existing roofs need to be removed, rafters repaired, and a new roof installed